Saturday 28 November 2015

Lime Crime liquid liner in Lunar Sea ~ review



Hello everybody!
So in 2014 while I was in beauty school at George Brown College for Makeup I finally got the courage to place a Lime Crime order! I have never been much for purchasing things online (I always doubt everything and they end up "in my cart" but never bought...online shopping purgatory, shall we say.) I had been hearing about this brand for a few years and loved all the unusual colours and the packaging---oh the packaging!
I ended up getting a lipstick in "chinchilla" and a liquid liner in "Lunar Sea". For this review I want to focus on the liquid liner, but if anyone is interested in reading a review on lime crime lipstick, let me know!
So I have truly put this liner to the test. I have used it in various settings (personal & professional), for different things (eyeliner & festival face paint details) and really got a feel for how this product performs.
First off, the colour is vibrant white. I was really into liquid liner at the time and this was the first white one I had seen. I was so excited to get creative with it. Using it can be a little tricky at first because it's REALLY liquid-y and the tip is a soft/small brush and I had been used to pen-like tips. With that being said I ended up figuring out how to use the brush and it was okay. As I said before, the formula is really watery so when I put it on it somehow travels down onto the roots of my lashes and makes it really difficult when I want to cover it with mascara. It just seemed like it made the process of doing makeup more difficult because now I had to spend extra time going over and over my lashes trying to get the black mascara to cover the white lashes, without getting any mascara on my lid. On top of that, if it 'skips' (meaning the product seemed to 'skip' over your skin and isn't opaque in one area), which does happen sometimes, going over your liner twice with this product is not the best idea. It seems like it gets cakey and not only doesn't feel very nice but also makes the next issue more prevalent. The last and worst part of me trying this product out was the FLAKING. I can't stress this enough, this product seemed to flake off within 20 minutes. First the wings would go, and then the rest in random patchy areas on the lid. And if you have oily skin ~ it looks flaky within 10/15 minutes, like it didn't adhere to the skin at all and you could just peel it or scratch it off with a light touch.
I had used this at a festival in BC to do other peoples makeup as well. Mostly people wanted face paint-esque things like dotting on the face or full out pictures drawn. This seemed like a good product to use for this because in my mind maybe the less your skin was moving the more likely it was to stay put. (foreheads seem to move less than eyelids.. or at least.. mine does??).
Applying this on the skin was no problem and made detailing easier. With that said it also flaked off and ended up looking awful. I'm sorry to say it, but the formula leaves some SERIOUS things to be desired. I was so sad that this product didn't pan out because I had such high expectations. I have since learned that Stila makes a white liquid liner, so next time i'm on the market for one, that's where i'll be heading.

 The soft brush, ( Also how cute is the squirrel in the background of these photo's?!)
(Also my nail polish is the Dermelect peptide infused polish I got in my Ipsy bag for November (this month). I used a matte topcoat with it. I have noticed chipping, i've been wearing it for 3 days. I really like the colour. It's a lot more brown than I originally thought. But I really appreciate the mauve undertone. Reminds me of a Kiley Jenner lip colour. Very on trend!)
 Unicorn logo detail on the top of the packaging. So cute!

Since yesterday was Black Friday, Lime Crime was having a big sale (their biggest sale yet!). The liquid liner's were only 5$! (Regularly priced 14$). I wasn't interested in trying the liner again, but I really wanted to try their liquid lipstick. I tried to place an order but wasn't being allowed to check out. I've emailed the company twice and sent instagram comments seeking help for the issue, but so far no help. I ended up placing a large order on the Morphe Brushes website, and if I make it for the Lime Crime sale (it's still going on) I will still place my order. If not, then I guess it's not meant to be.

Have you tried Lime Crime's liquid liner? Did yours work as well as it claimed?

Until next time,
Luna.

PS. here's a weird snapchat video I took last year while wearing the liner. This was the best I had ever gotten this product to look. But as always, it did end up flaking off later :(. ( Also, Die Antwoord playing, anyone else a fan? haha.)


No comments:

Post a Comment